Tuesday, April 1, 2008

teaching the girls some culture

As you might know, the girls go to "school", which is a euphemism for daycare. To be fair, it does have a hoity-toity name which includes the word "Academy", they send out report cards and have parent-teacher conferences...so I think it's legit to call it a "school" even when some "students" are 6 weeks old.

The girls have learned a lot at school. They teach sign language and Spanish. They have PE (called Pee Wee workout). We get "art" projects hand over fist from both girls (A does a mean scribble). But it wasn't until today that I realized the depths of culture and music appreciation they are instilling in my girls.

When I went to pick E up, all the kids were in the gym having a dance party. And the song playing on the boom box? None other than "YMCA." The teachers were even teaching the kids how to make the arm letters. Sign language might not come in handy in a few years, but she's got a lifetime of weddings to attend where she will surely need to know this. And, after dinner tonight, E turns to me and says,
"Mama, want to see the dance I learned at school today. It's called the macarena."
Hallmarks of a quality education, I tell you!

By the way, I dare you to go through the day without having either "YMCA" or "Macarena" stuck in your head. Personally, I've been shouting "HEY...MACARENA! Ay-it!" at random intervals since last night. Let's hope it doesn't happen on my conference call.

4 comments:

Deep in the Heart said...

That is HILARIOUS! And ambitious. I can picture three year olds doing the Macarena. They'd probably do it as well as I do, uh, I mean *did*.

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Hilarious. Sad that their "YMCA" is the "Macarena." I feel old.

Anonymous said...

I actually run an Afterschool Program for 1st & 2nd graders and we have "Move it Monday," where we dance at random. What is one of their favorites? The YMCA! I couldn't get them to stop doing it in bus line!

One Little Brownie said...

Marathon Mom's friend here, weighing in...Yesterday my daughter and I were at Best Buy and the Satellite radio area was playing, "Wild Thing" by Tone Toc...My daughter made a Bee Line and began dancing (she's two weeks shy of 3 years old) to my HORROR. It's a TOTALLY inappropriate song. Then two tough cops walked by and had HUGE smiles on their faces watching her shimmy and shake, and I realized, there is nothing cuter than a kid dancing to "our" music. I think we'll work on the macarena in our "kitchen dancing" tonight. Thanks for the inspiration, and I really enjoy your blog!