Tuesday, January 22, 2008

who's the big sister now?

One of the hardest aspects of disciplining E is that she often will do things that A is doing. So if we are at church (hey...it happens) and A starts babbling, E will take it as okay for her to whisper, too. Meals can be a pain because E will eat more with her fingers than utensils because that's how A does it. I forsee "If so-and-so jumped off the bridge, would you do it too?" type comments coming out of my mouth in the future.

Last night, I was sitting with girls while they ate dinner. And my conversation with E went something like this.
"E, please use a fork when you are eating."
"But, Mama, A's not using a fork right now either."
"Actually, E, she's trying to use her fork when she eats. But right now, she's using a napkin to wipe her face and hands because she's trying to be a big girl with table manners." [Side note: A really does try to use a fork and then she does tidy herself up with a napkin; it's incredibly cute and much needed.]
"Well...she still talks like a baby and I talk very much like a big girl...so there!"

3 comments:

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

Too cute! Thanks for the link to the cleaning to do list. I have bookmarked it and plan to print it out.

Sweet Pea Chef said...

I foresee many conversations like this at our house too...they are *just* starting...

Steel Magnolia said...

Harrison loves to act like a baby at the most inopportune times...like dinner. I thought he was the only one. He says he wants to "be a baby like THE brothers"...