Friday, August 1, 2008

don't believe the hype

So the Cincinnati Reds are in town for a weekend series against the Nats. John is pretty psyched about it. I know, you're thinking "Cincinnati? I thought John was from Tennessee?" Well, John's actually from Kentucky, but is a huge Tennessee fan despite having actually matriculated at Virginia. But because Cincinnati is the closest MLB city, there's where you have the undying loyalty. But don't worry, even I get confused and I've been putting up with this shit with him for 10 years now.

Anyway, where was I? Oh right. The Reds are in town, and John reeeeeeeeally wants to go to the game tonight (and Sunday, too, but that's not important right now). We did try to call our babysitter, but she works until 6:30, which is too late for us to get to the game. So we decided that we are going to take the girls to the game!

I'm not sure how this is all going to play out. I'm not concerned for E...the kid has been to tons of sporting events in her life (college football, college basketball, NFL, NHL, MLB). She actually was put up on the JumboTron one time at a baseball game. She also has the ability to stay up until midnight and wake up the the next day as refreshed as if she got a full night's sleep. But, A's a bit more of my pumpkin. She gets tired, and she lets you (and the 50 people immediately surrounding you) that she's tired. And, while she's been to a couple of games here and there, but still doesn't have a long attention span.

I think John is a bit nervous about how much of the game he'll actually get to see. So, he started the Baseball Games are F-U-N! campaign this morning.
"Hey, girls! I was thinking...do you want to go to a place tonight that serves pizza?"
"Yes!" E screams, while A mouth-nods furiously.
"How about pizza AND ice cream AND pretzels?"
"Yes!" the girls scream.
"How about pizza AND ice cream AND pretzels AND cotton candy?"
"Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeessssssssss!"
Needless to say, the girls are very excited about going to the game tonight. I'll be bringing my camera, so hopefully I'll be able to capture the family fun.

Wish us luck. Wish us all, lots and lots of luck.

7 comments:

Sweet Pea Chef said...

You guys will do great. Been thinking of taking the boys to a Columbus Clippers (Nats AAA Team), so I will see how you do and decide then!

JerseyBaby said...

I know you'll do great, but John does realize that it's unlikely that you'll make it through the fourth inning, right? Let alone the ninth... Have fun!

Slacker Mama said...

JB, he tells me that he won't be upset if we have to leave early...but I'm not totally buying it!

Oooo...we can have a contest! Maybe a foam finger give-a-way on who guesses the correct number of innings that the Slackers make it through????? Thoughts?

Steel Magnolia said...

We are taking the whole fam to the Charleston Riverdogs (Yankees minor league team) next week. I'm guessing we may make it to the 4th inning. Harrison will be fine, Brady and Jack.....thinking not! Have fun!!!

justme said...

brave brave brave....good luck

Sweet Pea Chef said...

I say 6 innings...that's my guess.

Lipstick said...

I love that John is a big UT fan! Go Vols!