Wednesday, August 22, 2007

e is for elephant...

And elephants never forget. E's memory constantly amazes me. Things we say in passing and things we do months ago, she remembers now. And sometimes people get linked to events in E's mind that I'm sure they would rather not be.

Back in June, my friend Heidi was telling me how horrified she was to find out she had two cavities that needed to be filled. Joking around, I was telling E that "Miss Heidi has to go to the dentist because she has a funky mouth." Well, this morning E asked me if I was working at home or "going to my classroom" as she likes to call it. I told her I was working at home because I had to go to the dentist.

"You have a funky mouth, just like Miss Heidi does?" she asked me.

Perhaps the person who will forever be scarred by this is her friend, Maura. When Maura came for a visit back in February, she was knee-deep in potty training. She had a slight setback while staying with us and had two accidents (one pee-pee, one poopy). Anyway, whenever we talk about potty training in our house, which is more often these days, and mention that it's okay if E has accidents. She tells us, "I have accidents just like Maura does."

I'm assuming that when the girls are grown she won't associate Maura with the perils of potty-training...but until then, she's the accident girl in our neck of the woods.

No comments: