Friday, August 15, 2008

the more things change, the more they stay the same

In true Slacker-style, I just realized that the anniversary of my first post came and went with no fanfare or celebration on my part. Maybe next year I'll get it together and do something cool.

I re-read some of my old posts. It's funny what a difference a year makes. Last year, I was talking about potty training E and buying her pull-ups...this year A's in the pull-ups. A was just learning to walk last year...now she's a running, jumping spitfire.

On the other hand, I remember that this time last year I had just gone back to work after taking time off when A was born. I remember thinking to myself that the balancing of work and home, the getting the kids to and from daycare, doing the day-to-day chores...all of it was *so* hard, but surely would get easier as the days and months went on. Unfortunately, this one hasn't changed so much.

Sure, it's gotten a bit easier. Both A and E love their school and their friends and their teachers...so there's not a lot of drama in drop-off anymore. But fitting everything in...spending time with John and the girls, work, getting stuff done around the house and maybe even eeking out some time just for myself...that really hasn't gotten any easier. It's really tough to do it all.

To quote Mary Chapin Carpenter...sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're bug.

This week I have feeling very very very bug-like. It all culminated last night, when E threw a tantrum outside of Pizzeria Uno. I told her we would not go in if she didn't shape up in 3...counted...and then all hell broke loose. I had to carry her kicking and screaming back to the car along with A. I had to strap her into her seat as she tried to hit and pinch and scratch me. When I finished and went around to strap in A she had gotten out of her car seat. So, I threw a tantrum, too.

I yelled at her when I should have just hugged her. I buckled her in and slammed her car door shut rather than closing it like an adult. And while her tantrum was longer and bigger and louder...mine was a thousand times worse because I'm the parent and I should know better.

On the ride home I apologized to her for acting the way I did, and drove one-handed so that I could hold her hand with the other one. We hugged and snuggled and played the rest of the evening after a dinner that she devoured in the comfort of her own home. I imagine for the most part that what happened last night barely registers in her memory any more. Oh, how I wish I could say the same for me.

Luckily, we've got a big weekend planned for her birthday. Her party is tomorrow and she is super-excited for that. And her actual birthday is on Monday...I'll be bringing in a snack and possibly a craft in for her class. I still need to figure out what the Food Nazis will and will not allow snack-wise, but she's very excited about that as well.

I'm sorry this is such a downer of a post...it's just been a really tough couple of weeks in Slackerville. So, in effort to look at things on the bright side...at least E's tantrum meant that we wouldn't have to suffer like we did last time we went to dinner at Pizzeria Uno.


9 comments:

Pigtails and Pacifiers said...

I so understand what you went through. Sometimes it is so difficult to keep in mind that they are children and for whatever reason a fit is how they communicate (not that its ok). I too have thrown my grown up fits in a rage againt theirs. I then feel so bad for letting myself get so worked up when I should have been the mommy in the situation. Parenting is hard. I don't know how you work and do everything else but I think you are doing a great job. I read your posts daily because of the wonderful Mom you are. Keep up the hard work.

Anonymous said...

What Mom hasn't been there? I know you remember a few - "I'll never buy you another thing!"

On the positive side, you followed thru on your statement even though I'm sure you weren't up for going home to cook and, you had some loving time with E. which is probably what it was all about.

As Pigtials & pacifiers said - "parenting is hard" and working makes it even harder.

Love,
Nonna

JerseyBaby said...

First, happy anniversary! And as your super-wise mom said, What mom hasn't been there? Forgive yourself and dive into the weekend!

Queen Mommy said...

Sounds like we need that spa weekend...NOW!!

Deep in the Heart said...

I feel like I need to start telling Rachel "do as I say, not as I do" every time I try to teach her to be patient with her brother or not be scared to try new things.

It's hard being the mommy. You do a great job. And it's OK to tell us these stories because everybody needs a confessional followed by lots of support every once in a while.

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhhh. your E? very much like my E was today.

I adore the carrying while she is kicking & thrashing.

good times.

Lipstick said...

Oh don't feel too bad. We've all been there SlackerMama. I yelled at JBB this week in the car. Then I felt guilty for losing my cool. Then I had to apologize for my part and still explain why the way he acted was unacceptable. It wore me out.

Steel Magnolia said...

Slacker Mama...I was there today and yesterday and the day before. You are a wonderful mom...and E knows that!! We ALL have days like this. Happy Birthday E!!! And happy blogiversary. I hope to get back to blogging next week. Dan was home all week...no time to blog!!

One Little Brownie said...

That's too bad. My kids are perfect. And I'm perfect, too.

NOT!

We've ALL been there, and if someone tries to tell you otherwise...THEY ARE LYING. Remember, the folks that BRAG the most about how WONDERFUL everything is, are ones SUFFERING the MOST in silence. They are the ones trying to put on a brave front, trying to put on a brave front.

But if you can be REAL and OWN your "authenticity?" Well, then you are just like the rest of us...A wonderful Momma, who loves her kids, and is doing the VERY BEST SHE CAN...We ALL have good days and bad...have you NOT read MY blog? Ha ha...

Congratulations...you're NORMAL. IN fact, you're BETTER than normal, You're REAL! That's why I love your blog!